Land Registers and Conveyancing Searches for Scotland

Registering a Change of Property Owner's Name at the Land Registry

What you need to know

Any adult having a sound mental capacity can change their name anytime they wish, or they may change it without realising, e.g. upon marriage. Ladies who have been divorced may change their name back to their maiden name. The change of name is usually evidenced by Marriage Certificate, Deed Poll, Statement of Truth or Statutory Declaration.

It is important that you keep your name registered at HM Land Registry up to date as otherwise if you apply to register any subsequent changes, e.g. where you have a new mortgage, they will not be able to make the change, as they will not recognise your new name.

How to proceed

1. If you do not have an up to date copy of the Title Register you should obtain one. You will need to pay for this. Please click the 'Current Title Register' link in the menu on the right.

2. Next you need to download forms AP1 and ID1. Please click the 'Form AP1' and 'Form ID1' links in the menu on the right to download them now.

3.You will need to have on hand:

  • Form AP1
  • Form ID1
  • Evidence of your Change of Name, i.e.
    • Original or official copy of your Marriage Certificate
    • Original or official copy of your Civil Partnership Certificate
    • Original or certified copy of your Change of Name Deed, Statement of Truth or Statutory Declaration.

4. Complete Form AP1. The following questions need to be answered:

  • Q1 - Insert the name of your local authority, e.g. Wirral Borough Council, and then your postcode where indicated.
  • Q2 - Insert the Title Number of the property. You will find the Title Number at the top of the Title Register, just above the commencement of the 'A' section, as in the example below.

Ttile Number

  • Q3 - You should insert an X in the first box (whole of the Title).
  • Q4 - Insert - "Change of Name" on the first line, "0" for the price and "0", for the fees paid and "0" for the total fees". No fee is payable to register your change of name. See example below:


  • Q5 - Insert the documents you will be enclosing (originals or certified copies). This will be either your marriage certificate, deed poll, statutory declaration or statement of truth.
  • Q6 - You should insert your full name.
  • Q7 - You should disregard the key number but will need to insert your name and address where indicated, together with your email address (if you have one) and telephone number.
  • Q8 - This question need only be answered if you want someone else to be notified when the application has been completed.
  • Q9 - You should either check the box for your address to remain as it is, or enter new addresses (up to 3 addresses for each owner, and these can include an email address).
  • Q10 - This may be left blank.
  • Q11 - This may be left blank.
  • Q12 - You should check the second box to say that you are not a conveyancer.
  • Q13 - This may be left blank.
  • Q14 - You should leave the first part of this panel (1) blank and go directly to the second part (2) and insert "Form ID1" as in the sample below.


  • Q15 - You should sign and date the application where indicated as the applicant.

5. You should now complete Form ID1, which is split into Sections A and B.

Section A requires you to insert your name, address, contact details and property details (title number and address), and then to sign and date it.

Section B needs to be completed by a solicitor or conveyancer (or by a local Land Registry office). They have to verify that you are the person making the application, and so you will need to take to them 2 identically sized recent passport photographs of yourself (and any other joint owner making the application). You will usually be charged a small fee for doing this.

The solicitor or conveyancer must inspect your identity documents, which should be as follows:

  • List A - One of the following:
    • Your passport
    • Your driving licence
    • Your identify card
  • List B - Two of the following:
    • Credit or debit card statement
    • Utility bill less than 3 months old
    • Council tax bill for the current year
    • Council rent book showing rent paid for the last 3 months
    • Mortgage statement for the last mortgage accounting year
    • Current firearm or shotgun certificate

You will also need to hand to him 2 recent passport photographs.

6. You should look at the top of the Title Register, just above the Title Number. The Land Registry office dealing with your property is shown. You will need to look up their address, using the following link:

7. Once your 2 forms are completed you should then send to the Land Registry the following:

  • Your completed Form AP1
  • Your completed Form ID1
  • The Document proving your change of name, i.e. marriage certificate, deed poll, etc.)
  • Your current passport sized photographs affixed to the appropriate forms.

No fee is payable for this application, and no covering letter is necessary.

HM Land Registry Forms Required

These forms are provided free of charge. Please click the links below to downlad them directly.

Associated Documents You May Require

You may need an up to date copy of your Title Register to be able to complete the forms. If you do, then this can be obtained via our website for our standard fee. Alternatively it can also be obtained directly from HM Land Registry at a reduced cost.